Friday, May 01, 2009

O is for Operation

Well I survived surgery, all 25 min of it. Despite having a cannula installed in my left hand when I was admitted, the anesthesiologist had put a new extra large (~1 mm diameter) one in my right arm. With particularly low blood pressure, my veins were extra hard to find, making installing this IV a super fun process of trial and error (leading to considerable subsequent bruising). They also put in an arterial IV providing "on tap" blood for testing.
Apparently, while I was sleeping, they made a ~2 inch incision, spread some ribs apart, and pushed aside (i.e., collapsed) a lung to access the heart and put a drainage window in the pericardium. I'm guessing that I'll end up with the scars of a one-sided boob job without the associated augmentation.

Disclaimer: This post has been back dated to more accurately reflect the timing of events. In reality it would have been difficult to blog immediately following surgery in a post-anesthetic/morphine-induced haze with IV's in both hands/arms.

No comments: